Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mark 16

I think chapter 16 epitomizes how Jesus transforms us into God's calling. Now when you start to read it, you're like..oh yeah I've read this before...this is Jesus resurrecting from the dead. And do not get me wrong. There is much beauty and amazement in my mind about Jesus' resurrection. It defines what salvation stands for...that the dead will rise and have new life in Jesus Christ. Without the resurrection, there would be no atonement for our sins. The sins that were nailed to the cross must be washed cleaned and given new breathe and Jesus did that for us. But as I read some of the details from Mark, I noticed things that never really stuck on my mind about the whole resurrection story.

All throughout the Gospels when Jesus performs miracles, He will tell the healed and saved to go about their ways and not tell anyone. Well of course the people cannot contain their joy and excitement and do quite the opposite, right? But in this case, Mary (x2) are just stunned..."afraid" as the passage says...about Jesus not being there and being risen again. Now this whole time where Jesus is like 'I must die. I must rise', people are like okay..? cool Jesus..? But when it actually happens as He foretells, Mary (x2) are just like..stoned faced. There isn't a rejoicing effect. Maybe they were rejoicing in the inside, I don't know. And when Jesus comes across the His very own disciples, he has to rebuke them because they too don't believe the rumors that Jesus had risen. His very own disciples of all people, who followed and learned from Him. How is that possible?! The scripture says it very clearly. Their hearts were hardened (v14). Their hearts were too wrapped up in themselves, they couldn't respond clearly. It wasn't until Jesus commands them to go out with a little direction and encouragement do the people respond in a way that pleases the Lord.

We are those people. We are those who try and follow, who try and learn, who try and replicate. However, we often find ourselves wrapped up in ourselves, wrapped up in the world, wrapped up in idols. This hardens our heart. It hinders our walk and connection with God. We need to invite the Spirit to be like Christ to His disciples. We need to invite the Spirit to give us direction and encouragement. I need to invite the Spirit to give me direction and encouragement. I am lost without the Spirit. I am lost when I put these idols before the Spirit. May my heart be soften by this beauty of this resurrection, by the beauty of new life, by the beauty of God's love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment