Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mark 12:12-34

Lot of things going on in this passage. I wanted to touch on Jesus responding to someone asking Him what the greatest commandment is. The funny thing about man is that we want absolute answers. We don't want the nonsense inbetween...we just want the answer straight. So of course someone would ask Jesus what is the greatest (aka most important one I should follow if anything) commandment of all time. Well Jesus is pretty frank and says you gotta love the Lord with your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Wow..that's pretty much any intangible spirit you have as a person. He goes on to say then love your neighbor as yourself. I definitely can nod my head to that. I've heard that before..love God, love people (LGLP). But what I never heard was the guy's response to it. He goes, "You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices" (v33). Much more than ALL whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. Man...to think of all the great riches and purest things we could possible imagine to sacrifice...is still not as great as loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself. That takes LGLP to a higher level. And after a day where I felt frustrated and cursed the people I work with...makes me feel like trash when I attempt to call myself a lover of God. Because you cannot love God if you cannot love your neighbor. Hm...food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment