Monday, January 23, 2012

Mark 10:32-39

This one hits home a little bit. First Jesus foretells his death a third time (v 32-34). Seems simple enough until he describes how it happens. Mocking. Spitting. Flogging. I think about some of the most disrespectful and obscene things that could happen to anyone. And the sad thing is that these people that do this...are just like me and you. A pity for me to think that I want to love this Jesus guy so much, yet I am the one who mocks his teaching, spits on him with doubt, and flog him when I am angry at him. Sad truth is truth nonetheless. I hope that I can better realize the pain I cause for my Savior and to repent from my mocking, spitting, and flogging. Let that be my prayer.

2nd part is what breaks me. James and John want to be at the right and left hand of Jesus to bask in His glory. Jesus asks a simple question.."are you able to drink the cup that I drink or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized." He goes on to talk about how God is that one that prepares these things. God is one who will call us to be with Him in glory. We are mere humans. We don't reserve that spot. He does. It's a pity to look back 5 years ago when I got baptized. A time where I needed God the most. A time where I really believed that my proclamation would be life-changing. It has no doubt..but I still see the same me and it saddens me. A proclamation is no good if it is short-lived. I don't want the rest of my life to be just a relapse of judgment and faith. May the Spirit propel me to a renewed faith, a serious one where Jesus is more than sufficient. Please be my everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment