Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mark 11:12-26

Recent weeks have been a struggle of highs and lows. I think tonight was one of those low nights...feeling just meh and out of it as I struggle with my sinful desires. But I thank God that I was able to get away from slothfulness and turn to the Word. And well..He spoke...and spoke pretty clear.

Jesus is traveling and comes across a fig tree that is not producing fruit so He curses it. Seems kinda trivial but of course, there's something deeper. Gotta be, right? He goes on to clear the temples from people who are doing business instead of worship there. Next thing you know, the group comes back to the fig tree that has withered. At first I just assumed...well the tree wasn't producing fruit so it had to die. I guess that's me..who should be producing fruit or letting God produce the fruit through me. And if I don't, then I deserve death? I wasn't too sure and wasn't really getting much until I researched. Came across a site that reference the unproductive fig tree to Luke 13:1-8 where Jesus tells a parable of a fig tree that's been tended to for years and yet does not produce. The vineyard keeper is like "wait 1 more year. I PROMISE!" and then I read the little subtitle..."repent or perish". Well there it is...how clear it is now. I am that fig tree. Yes I got that right. But it's not really producing fruit as in making disciples per se...it's producing fruit as in...repent of your sin so that you might even be seen as a fig tree capable of producing fruit. A fitting end to a night where I just feel all my inadequacies lining up. How can I stop making promises to God and start making strides to Him instead? I don't want to be the one that makes these excuses each year to start being ripe for the Gospel. I need to stop being a fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment