Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mark 9:30-37

Short passage today, but nonetheless good and thought-provoking. The disciples argue who is the greatest (among themselves) and Jesus says" if anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all." I've heard this plenty of times...he who is first must also be last. I don't think I've really thought much of it besides..well just be accommodating to everyone else before you help yourself. I can do that. Serve first, eat later. Open the door, enter later. Be willing to get the lesser good "pieces" of whatever. But after reading this, I thought to myself...maybe Jesus is talking about the kingdom of God. If you want to enter, you better make sure everyone else enters before you. And that makes perfect sense, but here's the kicker...if I really want to be in heaven with the Father and enjoy the joy of worship and His glory, then EVERYONE has to be invited. So am I inviting everyone? Am I telling them there's a big party in Heaven and EVERYONE is invited? I don't think so. We think evangelizing is for the lost and broken and beaten off the path. They are..no doubt. But the invitation is for EVERYONE. One day, all the nations will bow and one day, all tongues will confess Jesus is Lord. Until that day...why am I waiting around. I gotta start inviting people to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment